Photi

During the Mobile App Development Module of my second year of my Computer Science Degree, I created two outcomes to a proposal for a new social network concept I created – one in Kotlin, and another as a PWA.

At the beginning of this project, I had to create a project proposal presentation and document to my module leader and two other members of staff surrounding my ideas towards a potential application that I would develop both a Kotlin (Android) implementation as well as a Progressive Web Application implementation.

For this project I decided to pitch a problem that I had with most social media networks, and my solution to it. This solution was a new type of social network, one where users don’t have profiles, and are instead ranked based on what they post (meaning that what they post is now more important that who they are) – this fixes the problem that larger accounts usually overshadow smaller accounts based solely on their follower account, even though in general, better posts come from smaller accounts.

My implementation of this new social network is an image sharing platform, similar to those such as Instagram and Pinterest. Its name is Photi. You can see the initial designs for Photi (Marked at 96%) below:

After this, I worked on the Android (Kotlin) implementation of the application, again keeping close contact with the module leader to ensure that I was meeting their expectations of the requirements that we set out for the application after the initial design presentation and discussion. During this discussion we decided that it would be a good idea to implement some sort of API for the application to connect to.

For this I decided to use Laravel as I was comfortable with using it both for university assignments, as well as personal projects – created a simple content management system and a JSON endpoint that the application could hit to get its data, below is a sample of what a post’s data looks like from the API:

{ "id": 1, "title": "Vision", "description": "Man in blue crew neck shirt under blue sky during daytime", "image": "XPF1g2MwP0DMcnMQlo3aGrvU8OmHmeLnofOVdYSE.jpg", "lat": 19.3075461, "lon": -99.662973, "likes": 51, "created_at": "2021-01-07T20:21:47.000000Z", "updated_at": "2021-01-07T20:21:47.000000Z" }

Using this API, I built the android app using the endpoints so show the relevant data in a proof-of-concept application that scored 100% when marked and moderated; You can see some screenshots from this app below:

Following the success of this application, I then went on to build the same application using PWA techniques. I elected to use tailwind for the styles as well as using material design as it had worked well for the look and feel of the Android application. Below are screenshots of the PWA (marked at 86%).

You can visit the Web Application here.

Kieran Noble

Written 1yr ago

Recent Posts

Photi

Written by Kieran Noble - 1yr ago

During the Mobile App Development Module of my second year of my Computer Science Degree, I created two outcomes to a proposal for a new social network concept I created – one in Kotlin, and another as a PWA.

Harmony

Written by Kieran Noble - 1yr ago

This project is the outcome of iWeb’s client briefing during an assessment of my second year Computer Science degree for the module Commercial Computing – surrounding the activities and techniques involved with group development to fit a set brief and timescale.

X